Ken Waddell’s Background
Born: March 29, 1948.
Raised on a mixed farm, at Holland, Manitoba.
Attended elementary and high school at Holland, Manitoba. Participated in high school drama, hockey, football and baseball plus was year book editor. Participated in two 4-H clubs over a nine year period, provincial champion 4-H public speaker in 1965, attended National 4-H conference in Washington, DC in 1966.
Attended University of Manitoba and received a Bachelor of Science in Agriculture in 1970. Worked as a summer assistant in Manitoba Department of Agriculture, 4-H division in 1967; ARDA- FRED administration in the Manitoba Interlake region in the summer of 1968. Served as managing editor of the University of Manitoba newspaper The Manitoban 1968-69. Served in UMSU and FASO student councils. Member of 1969 Western Canadian University Championship debating team. Elected to the University of Manitoba Senate and Senate Executive in 1969.
Moved to Neepawa, Manitoba in 1971 as an assistant Ag-rep with the Manitoba Department of Agriculture. Moved to Arden, Manitoba in 1973 and served as Ag-rep at Gladstone, Manitoba from 1973-79. Started farming with beef and grain crops in 1974. Established Ken Waddell Auction Service with wife Christine in 1979 and also added a small dairy and poultry operation to the existing beef cattle enterprise.
Ken and Christine started The Neepawa Banner newspaper in late 1989.
1980-2004: Taught adult, college and career Sunday School classes. Ken and Christine have assisted with church youth programs especially for 6-12 year olds.
Outspoken editor on political, financial and moral topics.
Married for 37 years to Christine. Residents of Neepawa, Manitoba. They have two sons: Mike and Rob of Brandon and have four grandchildren, aged 4-12 years.
Positions and memberships held:
- 1979-1999: Co-owner of Ken Waddell Auction Service.
- 1975-1999: Chairman of the Board of Directors, Gladstone Auction Mart.
- 1989-present: Co-owner of The Neepawa Banner.
- 1993-present: Co-owner of The Rivers Banner. Currently The Banner is a member of the Neepawa, Gladstone, Ste. Rose and Rivers Chambers of Commerce.
- 1990-present: Member of The Canadian Taxpayers Federation.
- 1994-1997: Regional Vice-President of the Manitoba Chamber of Commerce.
- 1995-1997: Vice-President of the Neepawa Chamber of Commerce.
- 1997-1999: President of the Neepawa Chamber of Commerce.
- Member of Canadian Federation of Independent Business.
- 1997-2002: Manitoba Director on the National Board of Directors of The Canadian Taxpayers Federation.
- 1998-2002: Mayor, Town of Neepawa.
- Former President Manitoba Smart Network.
- Chair of the 2003 – 2006 Neepawa Lily Festival.
- Member of Conservative Party of Canada.
- Board Member of Dauphin-Swan River -Marquette Conservative Party of Canada E.D.A.
- Member of PC Manitoba Party.
- Regional Director – Board of Directors Progressive Conservative Party of Manitoba.
- 2004 – Present: Member of the Board of Directors of the Manitoba Community Newspaper Association.
- Former President of the Manitoba Shorthorn Cattle Breeders Association.
- Former Manitoba Rep on the Canadian Board of Directors of the Shorthorn Cattle Breeders Association.